For Pivots Sake
For Pivots Sake refurbishes skateboards with used equipment donated by individuals across the city and gives them to communities in need of recreational opportunities across Ottawa
For Pivots Sake
The program started by collecting gently used skateboard equipment and donating it to low-income communities. When a small group of skateboarders dropped off some complete skateboards the first year of running this program, they had no idea how appreciative and excited the youth would be to be receiving such a gift. They were met with a huge line-up of youth, engaged and wanting to get a board for themselves. The skaters left with a promise to collect more boards, raise funds and awareness for next time, so that every youth could have an opportunity to try skateboarding.
From there, the program has grown to further support families in need. By mentoring youth through physical activity programming and supplying them with the tools and resources to be successful and confident in and outside of programming, our program has empowered youth to get inspired about helping out their communities and being leaders of change.
For Pivots Sake (FPS) manages operations through Birling skateshop. Birling collects and donates used equipment to communities in need as well as to OSA supported camps and programming, and to like-minded business partners like Maru, who refurbish materials into merchandise and donate a portion of the proceeds back to FPS.
- Over 750 complete skateboards donated to kids and youth in Ottawa and surrounding areas
- Over 35 youth sent to City of Ottawa summer skateboard camps
- Delivered over $750 of skateboard hardware to Cuba Skate
Skateboard and art workshops successfully executed in Iqaluit for over 40 youth (2014 and 2015)
- Ad-hoc event programming for youth in low-income neighborhoods (since 2012)
- Sent over 50 skateboards to Africa with our partners at the department of Global Affairs Canada (2015)
- Delivered over 350 hours of instruction and mentorship for kids and youth